Friday, March 22, 2013

"Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)" (A Review by Lexi)

Hello, readers!

I am trying to catch up by posting a few this week, as much as I can. I hope this is okay. Then Ash and I are starting a schedule. She wonderfully took care of this blog whilst I was away, and how sweet is was to do so! She's such an awesome person!

Anywho, here's a book that presents itself in a certain way, but really is in disguise.




Look at this cover and title! You'd think it's a superhero book, right? I mean, that's what it alludes to. But is it? Um. No. Not at all.

Barnes & Noble summary: "Blaze is tired of spending her life on the sidelines.
All she wants is for Mark the Soccer Stud to notice her. Not as Josh's weird sister who drives a turd-brown minivan. And not as that nerdy girl who draws comics.
What she gets is her very own arch-nemesis.
Name: Mark Deninger, aka Mark the Shark Occupation: Soccer star and all-around lady killer Relationship Status: Serial dater Group Affiliation: No loyalty Known Superpowers: Anti-girlfriend force field, breaking hearts
Mark may have humiliated Blaze supervillian-style, but what he doesn't know is how geek girls always get revenge.
#GeekGrlzRevenge"

This is the most confusing book ever. You have no clue what she's going to end up doing. One moment, she's her little brother's role model, and then she doesn't take care of a big situation right away like a mature girl would. (I'm close to my little brother, and am a mom figure to him, so I know.) The ending does work as a resolution to part of the book, but you'd never get the main idea of the book. The main idea truly is Blaze finding her own voice. However, you don't get this until the end, and you're wondering what the hell you just read.

It has a good premise, and it's interesting, especially if you relate to being an adult early in life. I like that she was a girl into comic books. That was a great idea for a character, because us nerds needed a character to relate to. However, this book was so odd that I couldn't enjoy it much. Too many characters that came and went, too many things that weren't handled as they should have been (at least in my opinion). So, while I wanted this book to be awesome, and I wanted to see more of the comics and the one she was writing. There were too many things that just had no conclusion to them, and it's sad.

Rating: Two Superheroes...



Suggestion: Skip this one. If you want to buy it, please don't. Library is recommended. Don't spend too much time on it, okay?













No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here so we can hear all your thoughts!