Saturday, May 4, 2013

"The Program" (A Lexi Review & Survivor's Tale)

Our lovely readers,

I have officially survived my computer deciding it hated me! It knows another is on its way, so it was like "Screw you!" (Maybe I should confess that I have messed about 6 or so laptops up -- all mine -- and seriously, it was the automatic Windows Update that made this one so bad I had to just clear it all... No info was harmed during that, as I have a 3 terabyte external harddrive where I stuck everything a few days ago...

Okay, that leads me to this book, because I got a new Nook as well (Nook HD), and needed to put some books on there, The Program by Suzanne Young.



Reviewing this novel is kinda why I just decided to start this thing (laptop) from scratch. I didn't want to miss a day, or miss telling y'all about this novel. I've been waiting months for this baby, and it turned out three bajillion times better than I could have even imagined.

Anybody ever seen "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"? If not, that's okay; it's just the movie reminded me hard of this novel, just in teen format. I'm a huge fan of the movie -- the story really. So this being a teen kind of version made me a fan of this novel. I read it in one day; less than, actually.

Okay, so here's the Goodreads summary for the novel (thank you again, my beloved Goodreads): "Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them."


Review: The novel captures you right away. The fact that kids are yanked out of classrooms and minds messed with because they're depressed sent a chill down my spine. I can see this happening; a program being designed and this happening. Think about it. By the way, that's one of the awesome things about this novel: it makes you think.

The scenes are perfectly vivid, all things being shown, not told. Water being swift and cold, tugging at you, or the cold tension in a classroom; all of it is very accessible to imagine. Then there are characters, with which the author does the same thing in showing and not telling. The characters have believable pasts that anybody and everybody can relate to.

And the story? Oh my God, you are on the edge of your seat every single minute, until the very last page. And then you get there again. It's a great novel, honestly. It makes you wonder how much the past would mean once it's taken from you.

Conclusion: Buy the book. Don't download it or whatever. Go actually buy this novel, because it'll quickly become the book you'll want to read repeatedly.

Rating:

5/5 pills

Your turn: How much of your past would you want taken from you? What difference would it make in your character, your life?

Btw, there's a part of a Alexander Pope's poem "Eloisa to Abelard" poem to think about:

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! / The world forgetting, by the world forgot / Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! / Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd

It means that a clear mind would leave one happy, no wishes unfulfilled, no hurt, no pain, no bad memories of anything. What do y'all think?

Comment, cuz I know y'all are reading these things! lol


XOXO,

Lexi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here so we can hear all your thoughts!