Wednesday, July 24, 2019

"Stalking Jack the Ripper" (a serial-killer of a review by Lexi!)

Hello Amazing Readers,

Here I go again! I've missed blogging so very much. I have a new blog in the works, but seeing the fact that I got new followers on facebook from my last (so-basic) post, I figured starting over is so much harder than just reworking and remodeling this one, especially since I really love all the readers, followers, fan encounters, author convos/encounters, etc. we've had! I'm so grateful to you all, and I hope you guys stick with me through all of this from reviews to random posts to a lot of new content and post layout!

Okay, so today's all about the badassness of the book "Stalking Jack the Ripper" by Kerri Maniscalco.

Now, I've always had this weird fascination with the Jack of Knives (a.k.a. Jack the Ripper). Ever since I first read about it as a kid (I was already reading books for teens/adults, usually on mysterious stuff by, at most, age 6). Plus, this year, scientists have declared the case finally solved, and it only took 131 years! (That they kept on trying all ways to solve it is just true dedication and justice, imho.)

Okay, book time, lol.




Summary: "Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.
Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world." (Thank you, Goodreads!)

Review: So I was hoping that this girl wasn't a) a manicpixiedreamgirl or a Mary Sue, or the new typical nerd/outcast. And she wasn't! This story is written so very well, from the imagery, the words used, just absolutely everything. I have to tip my glitter lipgloss to this chick. The story was also just a great-paced read. The very end is building even more tension, so it gets a little slow, but I loved the characters and story so much, I kept with it. I have no patience with books that get slow, but this book was just way too good to put down!
Audrey is a new kind of heroine. She doesn't fit in her place in society. She loves solving mysteries, helping her uncle dissect cadavers, and more. She's determined, sneaky, and doesn't let men rule her life more than she absolutely has to. It's just so great. I don't want to reveal anything else at all because this book should remain a complete mystery for y'all.
Best part of the book is that I couldn't predict the ending. I grew up incessantly reading (completely and utterly a true story), so predicting endings and what'll happen next is just something I automatically do. This is the first book with a mystery I didn't solve by mid-book. This is just a brilliant, thrilling novel!

Recommendation: Go read it! NOW! Like, RIGHT NOW! Read this if you like a great heroine and a fresh outlook and writing style. Wait till it's dark and/or pouring outside, especially if you like reading creepy/dark subject matter books like I do!

Rating: 7/7 places Jack the Ripper terrorized




XOXO,

Lexi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here so we can hear all your thoughts!