Friday, September 6, 2013

Interview With Amber Jaeger by Ashley

Hey guys!!!

 So, today I am really excited to be able to interview the amazing Amber Jaeger. She is the author of "The Cold King" and "The Fire King". She has become one of my favourite authors and I am really glad that she was able to take time out of her busy schedule to answer my questions. I hope yall enjoy and if you haven't already, you need to read her amazing stories. Here is the interview:


How did you come up with the idea of "The Cold King" and "The Fire King"?

Beauty and the Beast has always been my favorite fairy tale. I’ve read so many versions over the years and loved them all but wished they were a bit different. So when I began working on the story, I wrote what I had always wanted to read. The novel was supposed to be a stand-alone but readers began asking for more on Calia and Valanka and for more fairy tales and suddenly I couldn’t stop thinking about Snow White and Katiyana and Lian. I wanted to create another story where the princess wasn’t a simpering idiot, the prince wasn’t a bland, boring ‘good’ dolt and darkness didn’t just come from the ‘bad guys’. Once my readers got the gears turning, the idea took on a life of its own. It is definitely thanks to my fans that this book exists at all.
 

When did you know that you wanted to become an author and was it easy or hard to get your stories published?

I have always loved writing but felt I should pick a more ‘stable’ career and so became a nurse. I continued to write off and on but never submitted anything to a publishing company. In 2010, I began researching self-publishing to help my mom, who had written a book on grief and addiction. I found news articles about Amanda Hocking and from there, I found Joe Konrath’s blog. Once I realized I could put my stories right into the hands of readers, I decided to indie publish. I have really great fans and it wasn’t long before my first novel was ranking on Amazon Best Seller lists. I am amazed and humbled every day that people really like my stories. I put a lot of hard work into writing and editing and all the other little things that go into indie publishing but once I finally had a finished novel, it was pretty easy to get it out to readers.

 

 What fairytale remake would you like to do next?

Cinderella! As I wrote The Fire King, I realized how much I really love retelling fairy tales and introduced characters I could expand on later. So far, people have recognized Cinderella the most and I think that’s great because I have some pretty crazy plans for her…

 
 What was your favorite fairytale story as a child and if you haven't already done a retelling of it, would you like to?

Beauty and the Beast has always been my favorite. I loved writing The Cold King and it will always be my favorite written work. I doubt I would write another version of it but the themes of love, redemption and wearing masks to hide pain are pretty prevalent in everything I write. I also tend to root for the ‘bad guy’, not to be confused with ‘bad boy’. Although, I like them too.

 

 Do you know how many books you would like to do in this series or hope to do?

Honestly, I don’t know. But there are three characters in The Fire King that I have a small mountain of notes on. Two would be retellings of classic fairy tales, the third would be a ‘new’ fairy tale. From there, who knows?

 
I see that you have written other books, could you tell us a little about them?

The first two books I wrote were Falling and Winters Dream of The Hemlock Bay series. They are paranormal young adult novels that follow 16 year old Bixby Grey. She has lost mother to cancer, her father to his own grief and is slowly losing her grandmother to Alzheimer’s. She hides away behind her responsibilities during the day and when she sleeps, she escapes into the strange town she dreams of every night. But then she loses her brother—her best and only friend—and dreams and reality begin to converge when a dark stranger offers her a way to get her brother back. Jordan isn’t a vampire, angel or werewolf. He is something else entirely and his motives can’t be trusted. But Bixby is willing to do anything to get her brother back and consents to an agreement that pulls her into a world she never could have imagined existed. I am working on the third book in the series right now and am excited to share it with readers this fall.


Do you think that you will continue with your future books, bringing back the characters from "The Cold King" and "The Fire King?

Yes! One of the things I liked best about writing The Fire King was getting to write about Valanka and Calia again and sharing what happened with them after their story ended. I love when writers create a space where all their characters exist and can expand up or reference them. My favorite author is Steven King for that exact reason. He is much more subtle than I am but it really excites me and sucks me in when a character I read about knows about another character I read about.

 

 What do you hope to accomplish in the future with your writing?

Everything! I have so many things I want to write. I want to finish The Hemlock Bay series and write another fairy tale. I also have been daydreaming about a novel set in the same world as Hemlock Bay. I love writing the stories I always wanted to read and am so blessed other people want to read them as well. I would also like to write full time. I love nursing but writing pays better, lets me stay home with my kids and frankly, is a whole lot more fun.

 
I hope yall have enjoyed this interview as much as I have and I hope to work with Amber in the future. Just from her answers you can tell she is an easy going, down to earth woman, who loves writing, which you can tell while reading her books. I look forward to reading the next book in the series and I hope everyone of yall read her books.



Till Next Time!!!!

    Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here so we can hear all your thoughts!